It’s time. I didn’t want to face it, putting the reasonable off, but finally acquiescing to what needed to be done: I was replacing my Tilley hat.
I’ve had it for a number of years. Like a good companion, it’s with me all the time. I wear it all the time when walking and about ninety-five percent of the time when I’m outdoors.
It shows; the color has faded. Five inch horizontal rips gap along the crown’s front, nicely complimenting the small two inch vertical tears. I’ve taped them together.
The Tilley comes with a Guarantee-for-Life replacement policy. I went to their website and filled out the form. They responded within a few days.
Thank you for submitting your request. We would be happy to help you with your Guaranteed for Life claim.
We do require some additional information to determine the eligibility of your item. Please reply to this email with 3 photos (.jpeg preferred as small a file as possible) of the following:
- A photo showing the entire item
- A photo to clearly show the qualifying damage
- A photo of the inside label. This should show the words “Guaranteed for Life”
Once we receive these photos from you, we will review them and determine the eligibility of your item. You will receive an email from us within 2 business days with your next steps.
That was done. A few more days passed.
Then came their answer.
Thank you for submitting your photos. We have assessed your item and agree that it qualifies for the Guaranteed for Life Policy.
Your Guarantee Identification Number is RMA#G00665
Good news! You no longer have to return your item to us in order to get a replacement!
In order to complete your request, we require the following information:
- Credit card information for shipping fee –
- $12.00 CAD OR $9.50 USD $35.00 USD international . Your credit card will only be charged at the time of shipping.
- you may contact us at 1-800-363-8737 and leave your credit card number with any agent. Please use your RMA# as reference.
- Proof of destruction Photos –
- We must confirm that your old hat is no longer usable before we can honor a replacement hat.
- Please Write the RMA# clearly on the hat. If the hat is a dark colour, you may write the RMA# on a white piece of paper and include it in the photo
- Cut off the crown (The top part) of the hat.
- Take a photo of this so the removed crown and the RMA# are visible. Save as a .jpeg in the smallest size possible
Once we have received your photos and credit card information, you order will then be processed. Please allow up to 2 weeks for your replacement hat to be shipped. We will email you once your order has shipped.
Destroy my hat? Shudders swept me as I read these words. Yet…yet…the time had arrived. The Tilley was failing. I needed a new hat.
So I took the Tilley for a final walk in the snow. After he dried out, the cats gathered. I played taps on Youtube, cut off the crown, and took the ghastly pictures.
The deed is done. Now I await my new hat.